There are many instances in which people’s hand end up getting impaired, and that is when hand surgery comes to help. It can treat any form of impairment. So, if you have any disease that has led to the impairment or loss of functionality and strength in your hand, a hand surgery can be the simple solution.
What is Hand Surgery?
A hand surgery is a specialized form of surgery that can restore the flexibility of your wrist and the strength of your hands. You can move your fingers normally once you perform this surgery and there would be no form of impairment. Whether you have any abnormality by birth or one that has been caused by trauma in your hand, everything can be treated by a hand surgery.
What Can Be Treated With The Help of Hand Surgery?
A hand surgery can treat many conditions some of which are:
- Rheumatoid arthritis – This is a type of disease in which different body portions or joints to be specific tend to swell and ultimately leading to disablement of those parts. Rheumatoid arthritis can lead to impairment in your hands by bending of the fingers and reduction of movement causing immense pain.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome – Carpal tunnel is the median nerve in the wrist This condition results due to immense pressure in the carpal tunnel. This leads to weakness, numbness of fingers, a tingling sensation and even pain. This particular syndrome can occur due to many possible reasons some of which are fluid retention during pregnancy, repetitive motion, rheumatoid arthritis, or experiencing an immense impact in the carpal tunnel.
- Dupuytren’s contracture – This is another form of hand disorder in which tissue bands which look like scars and are thick extend into the fingers. This leads to abnormal bending of the fingers thus delimiting the movement.
- Syndactyly – This is a type of birth defect in which the fingers are fused and the hands of a human baby appear like the webbed feet of a duck.
What are the Types of Hand Surgery?
Hand surgery is of different types depending on what problem you intent to treat.
- Tendon Repair – Tendon injuries occur due to many reasons trauma and infection being some of the major ones. Fixing a tendon can be tricky but with hand surgery it can be treated effectively.
- Nerve Repair – Damage to any of the three nerves in the hands can render your hand immovable. Nerve grafts or reattaching of nerves is done to mend that damage.
- Closed reduction and fixation – This type of hand surgery is applied when there is a fracture in the hand. The fractured bone is realigned and your hand will become normal again.
- Joint Replacement – Arthroplasty or joint replacement is opted by surgeons when the impairment in the patient’s hands is a result of arthritis.
- Surgical drainage – When there is an abscess in your hands as a result of an infection then the pus needs to be removed which is done by surgical drainage.
Thus, in short hand surgery as a general term is an umbrella beneath which several operative measures are included to treat the impairment of hands.